100 Common Problems in Construction Contract
- 08 Jul 2019 to 09 Jul 2019 (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM) Closed
Wisma IEM, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Managed by: IEM Training Centre Sdn Bhd
Organised by: IEM Training Centre Sdn Bhd
- Closing date before: 05 Jul 2019
Offline Registration Form - Download
Disputes between contractor and the client are all too common in construction contracts. To certain extent, it is said that disputes are inevitable in construction projects which predominantly arise from the complexity and magnitude of the works involved, multiple contracting parties, poorly prepared and executed contract documents, financial issues and communication problems. Any one of these factors could lead to time overrun, increased costs, and a breakdown in the parties’ common objective to complete the project.
Problems arising from construction contracts could be attributable to multiple parties involved in the construction works for example the Contractor, Employer, Consultant, Architect, Nominated Sub-contractor, third party contractor etc. The common problems that the Employers and Contractors encounter in the course of their work are numerous, such as:
- What are the common breaches of Employers and Contractors?
- Does letter of intent bind the parties, and if so, under what conditions?
- What are the liabilities of an Engineer or Architect as far as design is concerned under a conventional contract and a Design and Build contract?
- Is Employer bound by the information and data provided in tender document?
- What does it mean by progressing the work regularly and diligently?
- Is the extension of time clause for the benefit of the Employer or Contractor?
- Does the Employer need to prove his actual loss in order to impose liquidated damages?
- Can the calling of an on-demand performance bond be stopped by the Contractor?
- What are the issues need to be taken note of in an adjudication proceeding?
This seminar will provide a detailed analysis to the above problems and their related issues.
Ir. Lai Sze Ching graduated as a Mechanical Engineer from the University of Malaya. He also holds LL.B degree from the University of London and LL.M from the University of Malaya, majoring in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Arbitration Law, Remedy and Construction Law. In addition, he also holds a Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration (UK) and Certificate of Legal Practice from the Qualifying Board of Malaysia.
Ir. Lai has more than 30 years working experience in the field of construction and property development. He is currently the Managing Director of a consulting firm involved in Project and Contract Management and Contractual Claims. Ir. Lai had been invited to deliver papers on construction, water supply and sewage treatment in various international seminars and conferences. He had also written various articles on ADR, Arbitration and Construction disputes and had conducted talks on Law for Engineers and on Construction Law to local companies and Universities.
Being an accreditor of Engineering Accreditation Council Malaysia, he is also actively involved in the accreditation of local engineering programmes. He is currently a member of the Industry Advisory Panel for LimKokWing University of Creative Technology and Multimedia University. Ir. Lai has also been appointed as the Student Ambassador for the External Law Programme of University of London. He is empanelled as Arbitrator, Mediator and Adjudicator in the panel of Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre of Arbitration (KLRCA).
Who could Benefit from the Course
- Project Directors
- Contract Managers / Executives
- Project Managers / Engineers
- Project Architects
- Site Managers / Site Agents
- Quantity Surveyors
- Site supervisors
- Contractors and sub-contractors
* Please be informed that the course will only be carried out if there is sufficient number of participants. The confirmation or cancellation email will be sent to the registered email address one or two weeks before the event dates.
Rate stated does not include 6% SST
Type||Online Rate (RM)
||Offline Rate (RM)
All member type
All non member