2 DAY COURSE ON "PRACTICAL APPROACH TO RESIDUAL SOIL BEHAVIOUR FOR GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING ANALYSIS, DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION" (RSGE) BY PROFESSOR DR LAURENCE DANIEL WESLEY
- 21 Jun 2018 to 22 Jun 2018 (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
Managed by: IEM Training Centre Sdn Bhd
Organised by: IEM TRAINING CENTRE SDN BHD
- Closing date before: 18 Jun 2018
Offline Registration Form - Download
The principle objective of the course is to equip geotechnical engineers with the knowledge and understanding they ought to have in order to undertake projects in areas of residual soils. The course covers the basic properties of residual soils and the environment they are found in. Particular attention is given to the pore pressure and seepage state below and above the water table. A number of worked examples are covered during the course.
This course is intended for those who are fully conversant with basic soil mechanics, at least as far as sedimentary soils are concerned. At the same time, the course is a useful review of several aspects of basic soil mechanics and Practical Problems.
BIODATA OF SPEAKER
Dr Wesley has an M.E. from the Auckland University, and a PhD from Imperial College, obtained under the guidance of Professor A.W. Bishop.
His work experience as a geotechnical engineer covers:
- Eight years with the Indonesian Public Works Department
- Five years with the New Zealand Ministry of Works
- Eleven years with the Auckland consulting company, Tonkin and Taylor.
- Eighteen years as a senior lecturer in soil mechanics at Auckland University
During his time with Tonkin and Taylor he was involved in a variety of projects in Indonesia and Malaysia. The latter included foundations of buildings in Kuala Lumpur, the Sungai Layang Earth Dam in Johore Baru, site development at Prai, (near Penang), and the highways from Kuala Lumpur to Karak and from Kuala Krai to Gua Musang.
His special research interest has been the properties of residual and volcanic soils. Other research interests include reinforced earth, landfills, groundwater and seepage. He has published many papers on residual soils, and his recent publications include the following text books, two published by John Wiley and Sons, New York;
- Fundamentals of Soil Mechanics for Sedimentary and Residual Soils (John Wiley and Sons)
- Geotechnical Engineering in Residual Soils (John Wiley and Sons)
- Mekanika Tanah Edisi Baru (in Indonesia)
- Mekanika Tanah untuk Tanah Endapan dan Tanah Residu (Indonesian translation of the first book above)